Tuesday, September 18, 2007

How do you teach kids to spell??

Last night, I sat down with my 4 1/2 year old nephew, teaching him how to spell a couple of words that was going to be tested in school today. I thought I had patience with children, trust me I thought I did, but last night's session proved me wrong!

Here are the words he's supposed to know:


nine, jump, walk, run, ten


It took me about 1.5 hours to teach him all five! First I went through with him about 10 times on how to spell them.


so after the...50th(??) time...


Me: spell jump
Kid: jump....??? *eyes looking at the ceiling*
Me: *waiting...* *annoyed*
Kid: mmm....w....
Me: w????!!! j.u.m.p!! jump jump! you don't hear the 'w' sound in jump!
Kid: *writing on a paper*.. 'jump'

Then I erased it and told him to spell again
Kid: *blank stare* *tries to make sure I see him yawning* (it was 11pm)

Me: .............!!
Kid: umm...jump....
starts with g....?

Repeat above with the other letters!!


After a while I felt bad for being so harsh to him. Poor kid i
s only in KG1. Then I gave him a hug...I could see his eyes light up...the finally-this-evil-aunt-has-calmed-down look..

At this point, when I told him to spell...he could...all five words!




3 Comments:

At September 18, 2007 6:33 PM, Blogger R a i n said...

I think I would have reached sentence two and exploded into flames. You'll babysit my kids when I have kids right????

Pssst...'all five words', lady.

 
At September 18, 2007 7:47 PM, Blogger Mira said...

Hahahhah yeah I'll babysit them no problemo!!

Opppsss!! Thanks! Now I need to learn spelling myself!!

 
At October 01, 2008 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i stumbled upon this!
you sound JUST LIKE ME little while ago with my son and odd+even nos.

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by WebRing.